Do you get the winter blues? Do you find that your mood drops in the winter months?
Or do you have a stressful job? Do you find it difficult to pick yourself up when you’ve got a hard day ahead or have had a hard day?
Here are my Top 8 Reasons to Exercise to help boost your mood and get you in the right mind and body…
- Helps Boost Endorphin Production
- Endorphins are the body’s natural feel good chemicals. The more we exercise, the more endorphins are released, the better we feel.
- Reduces Immune System Chemicals
- These chemicals can worsen our mood and increase negative thoughts and feelings.
- Helps Improve Sleep
- Lack of sleep has been found to contribute to stress and increased risk of depression.
- Increases Body Temperature
- This helps to create a calming effect on the body.
- Gain Confidence
- Reaching small exercise goals can help boost self-confidence. Getting into shape can also help you feel better about your appearance.
- Helps as a Distractor.
- Even if it’s just for 20-30 minutes, it can help to break that cycle of having to think.
- Have more social interaction.
- Exercise and physical activity can help you to meet new people who can help increase your mood.
- Helps to cope in a healthy way.
- Using exercise as a coping mechanism is a positive way to help cope with stress and anxiety.
Written by Matthew Olds
BSc – Exercise Physiology
ASCA Level 2 Coach